Sunday 10 July 2016

Day 18 & 19 The end and homeward bound

Lazy morning Saturday....

Took an auto to the ASHA HQ at RK Purham with Dean as Simon and Jim had gone on his motorbike. On arrival met some of the drivers and staff I knew from the past visits. Nice to catch up. Dean and Jim were taken into the slum behind the HQ. I tagged along, we went to the ASHA centre and found all the children there in full party mode for one of the older students who is off to Australia to do a Msc.
There were two volunteers from London in the centre.





They told us about the work of ASHA and we met some of the students. Simon even had a little dance with the kids. It was fun and reminded me of my volunteering in 2014.

On leaving the centre a managed to slip on wet concrete and put my foot in a drainage gulley. It was disgusting (not poo etc) The residents rushed to my aid and checked buckets of water over my foot and trousers. All very kind and washed the yuck off. Only damage was my pride and felt a compltete idiot.

Went on the metro system to Connault Place (Oxford St of Delhi) and then to a locals market underneath. Managed to buy a few gifts.....

Me and Dean returned to the flat to pack via the metro to Chattpur and a auto. Went and bought drinks in the local market. Spent the rest of the day packing and drying kit. Simon and Jim had been up to old Delhi on a rickshaw ride and got back around 7pm. We changed and Simon wanted to take us to a bar at the mall close by. The bar was called Strykers andI had seen it in 2014. Simon then proceeded to take to the wrong mall and when we finally found the right place it had closed down. Note for the blog: Simon is the worst tour guide ever. I cannot repeat what I called him.

We ended up in Chillis where went on the first night of the trip. Veggie burger, nachos and the most fantastic pudding ever all washed down with cold yogurt drinks. 

Got Autos back and even managed to the get the drivers to race each other. We won (me & Jim).



I went almost straight to bed as I has to be up at 0530am.

So after a very hot sweat night the alarm got me at 0530 showered and put on my new Royal Enfield T-Shirt, a present from Lalli. The driver arrived 30 minutes early and at 0630 went to the airport with the driver and Simon. Said our goodbyes (not that emotional) and went into the airport. Got a window seat and went through customs and immigration without issue.

Now sat at the gate writing this and reading a book. Hot Macdonalds coffee in hand. Looking forward to going home but sad to leave India, a country I have fallen in love with.


I will put another entry on the blog once home and after I have had time to reflect. Plus a few comments on the trip from the rest of the team.
Off to enjoy the luxury of BA for the next 8 hours. What shall I watch........

3 comments: