Friday 8 July 2016

Day 17 The return to Delhi

We woke up early and got onto the bikes. A big day today as we have to ride to Delhi and it's a long way. Bikes packed and off we go and the traffic is remarkably light leaving the town. We make good progress down the mountain. We take a wrong turn and go through a very crowded town rather than go around it. It only delayed us slightly. 

We get near to Chandigrh and we see crossing the road the most enourmus lizard you have ever seen. It must have been a metre in length. It didn't like the road and plodded back into the verge. Once though Chandigrh we found the favourite Macdonalds for some air conditioning and cold drinks. Had a Spicy  McPaneer, very good.

The Grand Trunk Road (Highway 1) is busy and all sorts can be seen. A few examples today
Tractor pulling a motorbike
Motorbike pulling a cycle
On coming tractor, car, motorbike
Pedestrians
Bricks in the road
Dogs, cows
Horse drawn carriage
Broken down vehicles some being repaired others not
Maniac buses
Sucidal lorry drivers
horns horns and more horns

It's about 200 miles and the heat and humidity is very high. Well into the 40's and even with my jacket undone I was sweating buckets. We stopped every hour for fluids. 

Another problem was the key foe the flat and making sure Lalli was available to return the bikes but nobody was answering their phones. We decided to split. I would take Dean and Jim to Lallis and Simon would track down the keys. We separated in the NH1 about 35 km outside Delhi. Luckily we made contact with Lalli and he offered to help if needed. I managed to get us within his 2 miles of Lallis workshop before giving up and phoning him. His mechanic came and rescued us. Whilst trying to get through the traffic an auto (Tuk-Tuk) ran over my foot  - don't worry no damage to either although I did have a few choice words for the driver.

We returned the bikes and de-kitted the bikes sorted out the deposits and explained any issues. It took some time to arrange a taxi but eventually we got to the flat at Vassant Kunj arriving at 9pm.  It's still 36 degrees  here very hot and sweaty. 





Managed to order pizza online for tea. Collapsed into bed exhausted. I think I'm gonna need a holiday when I get home., Not work at 8am the next day....

Now I understand I have a new follower on my blog. His name is Max and he lives in the West Country. He is Deans son and has been following our trip through my blog every day even at school. So I would like to say 'Thank you' to him for following me. Here's a picture of me and Dean saying Thanks Max.



5 comments:

  1. Geoff, I have only just caught up with your blog but it looks and sounds as if you've had another fantastic trip. It makes me so jealous but it's not too long to go before I can consider doing something like this. We haven't seen much of each other of late but I'm sure we can catch up upon your return. Have a safe journey home. Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good story and well told. It's like I went there with you and saw it all. Thanks for the post and the block.

    Alex White

    ReplyDelete
  3. General Labor, Warehouse WORKER, Cleaner, Loader/Unloader Hiring job Available $43 - $73/hr ____________ You Must Apply Here: http://www.usjobscareer.com/

    ReplyDelete