Thursday 21 August 2014

My thoughts

This was a different trip from last year and very Delhi based. This was Mrs G's trip and I was there to help her survive in Delhi. However I wanted to take an active part.

We both loved working with the Children and it was the most amazing experience to meet them, be involved in their lives, see their homes and families. ASHA does some amazing work and clearly their lives are better for being involved with ASHA.

The children were keen to learn and were motivated, friendly, generous, kind and a lot more. They seemed to enjoy the activities we prepared and wanted more. Having over 50 children in class with many more outside listening or watching through the window showed we were making a difference. Clearly two weeks was not long enough and we would have loved to stay for a couple more but our lives and employment would not allow it.

We will go back one day, we promised the children we would. There's a lot of India we haven't explored yet. I do feel me and Delhi are done and I don't want anymore of the tourist traps.

We have to thank Anita at Jeevan Nagar because without her we would have struggled at the Slum Centre not have a Hindi translator. I certainly could not have done it without Mrs G and Mrs G admits she couldn't have done it without me. What a team and this is the start of the joint adventures.

What I will say to anybody who ask is......go and do it volunteering is such an amazing experience. Go travel, see, hear and experience. We are only here once.

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment